On sale

The Magnet Grenache

Having always wanted to make a Grenache and a variety that is making its own cult following in the region, Ben was drawn to a parcel of McLaren Vale fruit in which 100-year-old Grenache vines were destined to be bulldozed. After witnessing the destruction of the 'Vine Pull Scheme' of the 1980's where a majority of old vine Grenache was decimated in the region, he was determined to make sure these gnarly old vines were set to live longer - the rest they say is history.

Bottle 750ml
Sale price


Regular price $30.00
( / )
Click here to be notified by email when The Magnet Grenache becomes available.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The 100-year-old dry grown Grenache vines are located at 'Dogridge Vineyard' in the McLaren Vale region. Approximately 1 hectare of single wire trellis with wide spur spacing to keep yields low, the fruit exposed to sunlight and good air flow around the bunches. The vines are planted in the alluvial soil of the Kurragong geology formation, this well-drained soil is optimal for growing Grenache. These old vines are low yielding, but each bunch provides a concentrated array of flavours from ripe cherries to plums and blackberries. Hand picked, 15% whole bunches were put into a 5 tonne open fermenter with the remaining 85% crushed onto the top of the Grenache bunches. A daily program of pump overs assists in the partial carbonic maceration which adds complexity to the wine.
Vintage 2021
Variety Grenache
Region McLaren Vale
Cellaring Drink now or carefully cellaring for up to 5 to 10 years
Alcohol Volume 14.5%
pH 3.45
Residual Sugar -
Total Acidity 6.35


Enticing raspberry perfume, laden with cherries, liquorice and savoury notes.


Vibrant earthy plum with hints of spice of cumin, wooden bark and chocolate round the palate give it an unctuous mouth feel.

95 points Winestate Magazine Emerging & Alternative Varietals Wine Show 2022
93 points James Suckling, 2022
93 points Wine Orbit, Sam Kim